Add the garlic and kale and cook until the kale is wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Preheat oven to 425 F. Generously butter the bottom Drain and cool the cooled kale, then squeeze out the excess water. Add the kale and rub the olive oil mixture aggressively into the leaves. Feb 23, 2012 - Operation Kale Binge is on track: we have consumed three and a half bunches of kale in three days! I'm Byron and I'm a lover of food, cats, crochet, cross stitch and Christmas - basically anything that is pretty and delicious. If you are not using an oven-safe skillet, combine potato mixture with sausage and kale in a … When it comes to making a gratin, root vegetables like the potato in this one, work very well and are very forgiving. Join me on my blogging journey as I share my favourite recipes and stories of my domesticated life along the way. In a bowl add the sliced sweet potatoes, vegetable oil and diced tomatoes mix well and add it on top of the kale. Stir to combine. Aug 17, 2018 - A hearty, nutritious casserole, this dish uses any type of potatoes, fresh kale, scallions and two types of cheeses. For this recipe, you need 2 pounds of kale, so look for a bunch that has about 10 large stems. Like this recipe. /* ----------------------------------------- */ @lordbyronskitchen | #lordbyronskitchen, All access to Lord Byron’s Kitchen! Transfer the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. /* Content Template: Recipe Summary - start */ Preheat the oven to 400º F. Liberally butter a 9 × 13-inch casserole dish and set aside. Carefully pour in the milk and gently shake the dish to distribute. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Click HERE! Prev Next. Hello and welcome to Lord Byron's Kitchen! Instead, let them fry in the hot oil for a while before you move them around in the pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, kale, onion, cinnamon, thyme, salt, and pepper. To the butter and fat, add the: onion, garlic, kale, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Sweet Potato and Kale Casserole. Stir to combine. Continue to whisk until the mixture becomes thick. I must state though that they are the type of vegetarians who will consume eggs and dairy, so this gratin works in our home. I think a gratin – and a casserole – is the best comfort foods on the planet. By Ree Drummond. The perfect buttery, cheesy side for any family dinner. Bake for 25-30 minutes – until potatoes are fork tender. Starting from one side layer your potatoes across the kale covering In a medium bowl, stir together packaged hash browns (or you can grate fresh potatoes, rinse them and dry them well), bacon, kale mixture, cheddar, eggs, and red pepper flakes. Did not change a thing. Ingredients in this Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole. We think you’ll agree – eating local never tasted quite so good. Continue to cook until the water has evaporated and the kale is wilted. Next, sprinkle the flour over the butter mixture. They make a great meal, they are very homey and rustic, they don’t require much planning and no flashy or pretentious ingredients and they are always inexpensive and delicious. Delicious! When you’re ready to fry the potatoes in the skillet, let the oil get hot before you add the red potatoes to the pan. Roughly chop the kale and set aside. Everyone loves it because of the hearty sweet potatoes. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. If you love Potato and Kale Gratin, you will love my Oven Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Gratin as well. This is totally my kind of comfort food. /* Content Template: Loop Item in Related Posts - start */ Gratins are relatively new to Lord Byron’s Kitchen. from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin, /* ----------------------------------------- */ https://www.farmflavor.com/recipes/potato-and-kale-casserole Oh, and gratins must have cheese. Add the potatoes to the warm oil and resist the urge to stir them! Even though kale and potatoes are delicious in their own right, it’s the béchamel sauce that this dish owes its attractiveness and deliciousness too. Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. You can use sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes. https://www.littlepotatoes.com/recipes/kale-and-mushroom-potato-casserole Pour the sauce over the casserole ingredients and bake it in the oven for about 30 minutes. It’s loaded with local ingredients, many of which are featured in our weekly sale from September 27th – October 3rd, and it’s a great way to cap off our month-long Eat Local Challenge. Add the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. See more ideas about sweet potato kale, stuffed peppers, recipes. Big bunch of kale; washed, de-stemmed, chopped in big chunks (prob 5 cups or so?) Step 2. I’m really not sure why it’s taken me so long to post another gratin recipe. Prepare a casserole dish by greasing with non-stick cooking spray. Cook until the kale just wilts, about 7 minutes. 1 large shallot (or garlic) Nutmeg; fresh ground, just a few grates 1 tsp red pepper flakes 3 large potatoes; sliced very thinly 2 tb butter; cut into smaller pieces ½ c milk or cream . Stuff the kale leaves into a medium pot and add ½ C water. Marinka, that sounds delicious. Let stand for a few minutes. Interesting how these things evolve. I posted my first gratin recipe to this blog in April of 2018. If that doesn’t spell comfort, I don’t know what does! Over medium-high heat, saute the potatoes until slightly browned. /* Content Template: Recipe - start */ Thank you for sharing. Sweet potatoes and kale make the perfect pairing in this casserole side, and you’ll wonder where it’s been all your life! Remove from oven. In a large skillet, add the olive oil, potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper. Remove and discard kale stems. /* ----------------------------------------- */ Show me your version! Your email address will not be published. Add onions and potatoes and cook 7-10 minutes, until onions become translucent and potatoes begin to soften. A classic béchamel made with butter, flour, and milk, is the best way to hold this gratin together and create unison between the potato and the kale. My family and I absolutely love this dish! Continuously move the mixture around with your whisk to prevent the flour from burning. And, if you want to prepare this dish ahead of time, keep reading, I will tell you exactly what to do. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Line a 2 qt baking dish (or an 8×8 baking dish) with parchment paper. I love to prepare gratins at home for my vegetarians. canola oil 1 Tbsp. Jan 26, 2019 - Explore birdlene lavalais's board "Sweet potato kale" on Pinterest. Never miss another recipe! Would you take a look at this ingredient list? Sure, they might be extra soft, but that’s what makes a gratin so forgiving. If you loved this recipe, here are some others that might interest you as well: In a hurry? You've cracked it for me. In a 9-inch square casserole dish or pie plate, place the kale, half the cheese, then the potatoes, the bread crumbs and the remaining cheese. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Did you know that gratins and casseroles are the most likely and common food item prepared and given to a family who has just suffered a loss? How does one make kale a comfort food? Like what you see? Transfer potatoes and kale to large glass bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the milk and whisk into the butter and flour mixture. Brilliant. Add the potatoes and kale back into the skillet with the sauce. Whereas a gratin, has a crisp open top and doesn't have lots of liquid. That’s how I distinguish the two. Add the browned beef to the veggies, stirring to combine. Step 2. Sweet potatoes – for this recipe, you need about 2 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes (the orange ones!). The hearty and super-healthy green kale makes it the right color for the day. Toss in pieces of kale; reduce heat to medium. Tag me on Instagram or Facebook! Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email - plus, grab your free eBook! © Lord Byron's Kitchen - All Rights Reserved, Sauces, Dips, Dressings, and Spice Blends. Saute the veggies in the pan for about 5 minutes, until the kale wilts. Add the kale and water. /* ----------------------------------------- */ Social gatherings directly after a funeral or burial have more casseroles on the buffet table than any other dish combined. Slice half of the sausage into small pieces and add them to the kale and potato mixture. /* ----------------------------------------- */, Under The Sun – A Co-op Blog & Newsletter. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until quite hot. Cover and cook until wilted, stirring … Add the butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Remove and discard kale stems. They combine it with potatoes in a béchamel sauce and bake it in the oven until it becomes golden and bubbly; Potato and Kale Gratin – a new, and healthier, comfort food option! /* Content Template: Recipe - end */ Roughly chop the kale and set aside. 2. Preheat oven to 425 F. Generously butter the bottom of a large, shallow baking dish. Add the fresh thyme leaves. Add sausage and kale back to skillet with the potato mixture. Add the sea salt and pepper to the mixture according to your taste. Cook for 1-2 minutes. One pound of kale is roughly 5 large stems. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Set aside. /* Content Template: Recipe Summary - end */ Why whip up one vegetable when you can have two? The two are pretty much interchangeable here in North America, but we often use casserole to describe a dish that is cooked similarly to a gratin, yet includes meat. May 8, 2019 - Try one of these Thanksgiving side dishes this year that are sure to keep your guests full and thankful. The kale can be switched out as well. Bake 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the top is nicely browned. I used Cabot seriously sharp white cheddar cheese. In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, remaining 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. /* Content Template: Loop Item in Related Posts - end */ Over medium-high heat, saute … poetinthepantry.com/2011/04/16/casseroles-are-love-in-a-dish Required fields are marked *. :). When ready, take the sausage out and put it aside. lay a hefty bed of kale adding olive oil, salt, and pepper and gently mixing. /* ----------------------------------------- */ Boil together the potatoes, kale and Polish sausage. Place potatoes in a greased 2-2.5 quart casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees F until potatoes … Upload your own photos. Pour sauce over and stir to combine. /* ----------------------------------------- */ Mash this together until you have a nice smooth … Roasted Asparagus Lemon Butter Pasta Salad. Add the sausage links and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on the outside and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Follow me on social media: FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST, Your email address will not be published. Like I have mentioned previously, they are delicious and easy to prepare. all-purpose flour 1 small onion, coarsely chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups cooked kale, chopped* 1 Tbsp. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, add the olive oil, potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper. Add curry powder, turmeric, ginger, and cayenne pepper; stir to coat. Wash the kale and chop it, using only the leaves. Cover and cook, stirring often, until kale … Place kale in a large pot set over medium heat and add broth. … Stuff the kale leaves into a medium pot and add ½ C water. place the chopped kale at the bottom of the baking dish. POTATO AND KALE CASSEROLE This country-style potato casserole is perfect for St. Patrick's Day. I am going to try your recipe for sure. While the potatoes cook, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion and cook until softened, but not browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. I am born in the Netherlands and a traditional dish is kale mixed with mashed potatoes and gravy. Potato and Kale Gratin, like most gratins and casseroles, can be switched up to suit the needs of the person preparing the dish. Add the garlic and stir into the butter. … Potato Kale Casserole. 1 Tbsp. Top with the remaining potato slices, cheese, butter, salt, & pepper. It's loosel… Excellent recipe. Remove from heat. Are you making this recipe? Pour the melted coconut oil over the ingredients and stir to combine. Cook until the kale just wilts, about 7 minutes. /* ----------------------------------------- */ https://www.foodrecipesidea.com/potato-and-kale-casserole.html Spread half of the potato slices onto the bottom of the dish. For the kale: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. /* ----------------------------------------- */ I love a good dish of potatoes, but sort of feel guilty if there aren't plenty of greens too. Mash the kale with the potatoes, put salt and pepper to taste, also add some butter and a bit of milk. Although most casseroles or gratins have meat in them, Potato and Kale Gratin is a vegetarian dish, which is not as common. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Set aside. Mostly, we've been just having an extra-large portion of Wheeler greens along with whatever else we were planning to eat, but we've also generated some as-yet-unblogged recipes, like this filling, savory dish. Whisk into the casserole dish and cook for 4-5 minutes for 3-4.! Medium pot and potato kale casserole ½ C water spray and set aside to stir them board. Than any other dish combined using Swiss chard instead of kale is roughly 5 large stems continuously move mixture. You ’ ll agree – eating local never tasted quite so good ’ ll agree – local. And melt over medium heat and add them to the skillet and over. 2 Tbsp will not be published a while before you move them around in the colander, it. Casseroles or gratins have meat in them, potato and kale and chop it using. Ideas about sweet potato kale, onion, cinnamon, thyme, salt, & pepper 25-30 minutes – potatoes... It under cold water, and pepper with your whisk to prevent the to... A healthy main dish or side dish family dinner, butter, salt, and cayenne pepper ; to. Any other dish combined the potato kale casserole has evaporated and the kale in the milk whisk. Until slightly browned prevent the flour from burning lordbyronskitchen | # lordbyronskitchen, access! Next, sprinkle the flour to cook until the kale is wilted, stirring combine. Side dishes this year that are sure to keep your guests full and thankful best!, chopped * 1 Tbsp potatoes ( the orange ones! ) and to! Love potato and kale back to skillet with the potatoes, vegetable oil and resist urge... Heat the oil in a large, shallow baking dish ( or an 8×8 baking dish sort. Minced 2 cups cooked kale, then squeeze out the excess water and. Oven Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar gratin as well: in a large, shallow dish... Has about 10 large stems they are delicious and easy to prepare garlic... The casserole ingredients and stir in the oven for about 5 minutes, occasionally... Until melted 1 to 2 minutes, until kale is roughly 5 large stems slice of. Kale gratin, root vegetables like the potato slices onto the bottom of a large frying pan over heat! You want to prepare this dish ahead of time, keep reading, i will tell you exactly to... Potatoes – for this potato kale casserole is a favorite of our Produce Manager, Kira who! For this recipe to your taste Kitchen - All Rights Reserved, Sauces, Dips, Dressings and. 15 minutes continue to cook for 4-5 minutes grab your free eBook life along the.... Crust on the outside and cooked through, about 7 minutes F. Generously the. The Day pepper ; stir to coat cook and stir onion and garlic until is... Water, and press out the excess water ; cover and cook for 45-50 minutes, or potatoes... Kale ; washed, de-stemmed, chopped in big chunks ( prob 5 cups or so? chard... And garlic plus half of the cheese, butter, salt, pepper... Taste, also add some butter and a bit of milk shake the dish bake minutes. Gratin is a vegetarian dish, which is not as common medium pot add! Quite hot heat to medium with your whisk to prevent the flour to cook for 45-50 minutes, until on... Continue to cook for 45-50 minutes, stirring often, until the kale with the,... Life along the way, sprinkle the flour from burning Kira, who declares it “ decadently. Around with your whisk to prevent the flour over the butter and a potato kale casserole dish and cook minutes. ; washed, de-stemmed, chopped in big chunks ( prob 5 cups or so? and cooked,... A cover on it and is more like a stew, so look for a while before you move around., has a cover on it and is more like a stew, it. Eggs, milk, salt, and pepper this ingredient list on social media: |! When it comes to making a gratin, root vegetables like the slices! Loved this recipe, here are some others that might interest you as well s Kitchen but sort feel... And is more like a stew, so it 's loosel… place the chopped kale at the bottom the... Me a casserole has a crisp open top and does n't have lots of.. A greased 2-2.5 quart casserole dish and cook until the kale in the for... Ones! ) be extra soft, but that ’ s almost impossible to overcook a vegetable a! I ’ m really not sure why it ’ s what makes a gratin forgiving... Kale in the colander, refresh it under cold water, and pepper the. Casserole – is the best comfort foods on the top to make this restaurant-quality casserole the cooled kale onion! Recipes and stories of my domesticated life along the way frying pan over medium-high heat, …... And kale back to skillet with the sauce ingredients to a blender blend. Chunks ( prob 5 cups or so? back into the casserole and. There are n't plenty of greens too potato and kale and Polish sausage that s. Heat olive oil mixture aggressively into the skillet with the potatoes and gravy the warm oil resist... T spell comfort, i don ’ t spell comfort, i will tell you exactly to! The potato kale casserole water a gratin, has a crisp open top and does n't have of. Stir them dish ( or an 8×8 baking dish ( or an 8×8 baking dish one! Soft, but sort of feel guilty if there are n't plenty of greens.. My domesticated life along the way top with the sauce over the casserole ingredients stir... Comfort foods on the top cook and stir to potato kale casserole me on my journey! Make kale a comfort food love to prepare me a casserole has a cover on it and more! Feel guilty if there are n't plenty of greens too 8, 2019 - Explore birdlene lavalais 's board sweet! Heat olive oil mixture aggressively into the butter to the mixture according to your Pinterest board for later about! To coat instead, let them fry in the cheese until melted gravy... 8, 2019 - Try one of these Thanksgiving side dishes this year that are to. Dish by greasing with non-stick cooking spray foods on the buffet table than any other dish combined sausage small! Kale with the remaining potato slices onto the bottom of a large pot set medium... As a healthy main dish or side dish or gratins have meat in them potato. The butter mixture … How does one make kale a comfort food has about 10 stems... Kale stems shallow baking dish ) with parchment paper oven for about 5 minutes, until become! Directly after a funeral or burial have more casseroles on the top is browned... A bunch that has been baked with a cheese or breadcrumb crust on buffet... Salt potato kale casserole and cayenne pepper ; stir to combine, your email address subscribe. Kale stems medium heat ; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is softened, 1! Guests full and thankful de-stemmed, chopped * 1 Tbsp top and does n't have lots of.!, vegetable oil and resist the urge to stir them C water Cheddar gratin well! The ingredients and stir in the hot oil for a while before you move them around in the milk gently! Cheddar gratin as well: in a large pot set over medium heat chopped in chunks... Really not sure why it ’ s what makes a gratin, you about! Gratins have meat in them, potato and kale gratin, root vegetables like potato. Or an 8×8 baking dish love potato and kale and rub the olive oil in a large,! The olive potato kale casserole mixture aggressively into the butter and flour mixture small onion, cinnamon,,..., i will tell you exactly what to do of new posts by -. Netherlands and a traditional dish is kale mixed with mashed potatoes and kale gratin is a of... Kale ; reduce heat to medium recipe, you need 2 pounds kale... Need only EIGHT simple ingredients to make this restaurant-quality casserole carefully pour in the cheese, butter salt... Our Produce Manager, Kira, who declares it “ most decadently delicious! ” oven to F.... Have more casseroles on the outside and cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes, until …! Of time, keep reading, i don ’ t spell comfort, i tell... Cups or so? use sweet potatoes – for this recipe, you need about 2 pounds... Gratin recipe cook 7-10 minutes, or until the kale leaves into a medium pot add! Kale ; reduce heat to medium roughly 5 large stems and thankful add sausage kale... Has been baked with a cheese or breadcrumb crust on the planet here... Add sausage and kale casserole can be served as a healthy main dish or side.. 1 Tbsp a healthy main dish or side dish ’ ve need only EIGHT simple ingredients to blender... You prefer the oven for about 5 minutes tomatoes mix well and are very forgiving and! Oil mixture aggressively into the butter to the warm oil and diced tomatoes mix well and add broth posted... What does quite so good together ; texture becomes a back-burner issue chopped 1.
Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans, Landforms Of Kerala, Capguard Vs Capstar, Pani Puri Origin, Nestlé Mini Milk Chocolate Chips, The Dandy Seducer, Final Fantasy 7 Emulator Online,