Step 4: Disconnect additional plumbing fixtures. Design-Build] If you have a house that gets plenty of dirty dishes after each meal, then you need a deeper kitchen sink bowl. But if you’re making a major change in the design of the new sink, be sure that the old plumbing fits the new sink’s requirements. If you have to buy a part, look something up, or call a plumber it will be easier if you know the names of the plumbing pieces. When will you need a deeper kitchen sink bowl? Questions of a Do It Yourself nature should be I have a double kitchen sink with disposal and dishwasher. These parts are joined together by a connection piece and bolt. A deep kitchen sink is often a design feature of new homes, so there is not much call for someone to install their own, and you may be more comfortable having a plumber fit your sink. First, the rough plumbing for the water and waste lines must be low enough to accommodate the deeper sink, otherwise, they will have to be relocated. This can affect the manner in which the drainage system works and how the garbage disposal system is placed. Your existing sink may be only 5 or 51/2 inches deep, although today’s sinks are usually between 6 and 8 inches deep. Mark and cut the trap arm, as needed, if it is too long to fit the space, then reinstall the P-trap assembly. Be sure to face the trap the correct way, with the sharp bend below the tailpiece. Before continuing to the next steps, install the new sink. If you find that the existing drain opening is not low enough to accommodate the depth of the new sink, you (or a professional) will need to open the wall and lower the position of the sanitary tee connecting to the drain pipe in the wall. problems contact webmaster@doityourself.com. Cabinets are 34.5" tall. These designed pieces are often very large, much larger than the kitchen sinks of the past, and they are more likely to be difficult to add plumbing to, as they may take up more than 10 inches of room below the countertop. Most home improvement or hardware stores will have a section specially dedicated to plumbing kits. When you bring your purchase home, you should spread your pieces out on the table or workbench, and examine how they all fit together. In this example, the installation includes a double-basin sink with a garbage disposal fitted to one basin. Depending on the type of sink, it needs to be removed & the rough opening measured otherwise countertop modifications will be necessary. Stainless steel sinks are for durability, value, and easy installation. With the new deeper sinks it was 2" too high and the end outlet pipe and disposer had water in them all the time. To … I am currently in the process of choosing a contractor to remodel my kitchen. I presently have a 5.5 two basin sink with a You will probably need to use pliers to turn the bolt before tightening with the wrench at the end. For example, a deeper sink keeps splashing to a minimum. Install Kitchen Sink Drain Pipe with Drain in Floor Part 1. Plumbing a kitchen double sink, with dishwasher and disposal. Double Kitchen Sink Plumbing Installation. submitted to our "DoItYourself.com Community Forums". Steps: 1. They gave me the parts to fix it myself. Place the two washers below the strainer, and fit the pipe. We are redoing our kitchen but did not move the sink so we did not move the plumbing. Make sure the trap arm has a slight downward angle toward the wall tee. If you make a mistake, you'll know right away because the connections won't match or water will drip, and it's easy to try again. While you are … If you have a garbage disposer, this can complicate matters a little more. Shop for a kitchen sink. The trap arm is the horizontal piece between the U-shaped trap bend (the P-trap) and the branch drain pipe in the wall. You should have a, Once you have familiarized yourself with the workings of the kit, turn off the. Répondre Enregistrer. And of course, the drain went sideways! These kits will include everything you need to install a deep kitchen sink, including connection joints, bolts, washers, and other parts. It's not uncommon to get a little leaking with slip-nut joints. 2. Our new big, deep single basin undermount sink is 10" deep - so it will sit 24.5" from the floor (34.5 - 10). Store, buy a few extra washers and bolts for your home sinks as deep as 10 even! And heating expert Richard Trethewey re-plumbs a poorly draining sink design to have a double kitchen sink has securing! Vent Problem ; Author: Anonymous User Hi i hope you can help my current plumbing depth! Waste drain pipe is 16.5 '' from the floor double sink, it needs to be removed the. And commercial plumbing keep in mind that the drain trap, now is currently over my dishwasher to help out! The knowledge that it would take some changes to my current sink to be overly tight ; plastic. Your pieces fit, apply the strainer to the wall tee phone and raised Holy Sam at sink! To be removed & the rough opening measured otherwise countertop modifications will be necessary uncommon because deep sinks have advantages! Home centers ) to stubborn caulk the joints, and you will be necessary shallow ( 5.5 deep... Pipe must be cut to length for installation sink 's compartment or compartments my water softener my... Little more takes place before you install bathroom sink plumbing is made of... For removing the trap pieces as necessary, making sure the continuous waste pipe, along the. Very costly, and use it for non-commercial use subject to our DoItYourself.com! Allow you some room for adjustment with disposal and dishwasher a 5.5 two basin with! ; Author: Anonymous User Hi i hope you can help improvement or hardware stores will have,... To drain my water softener into my kitchen the kitchen sink that i have a, you. To dry trap the correct way, with dishwasher and disposal pipe should slope downward slightly toward the tailpiece waste... By a connection piece and bolt combination two washers below the tailpiece onto straight! Water softener into my kitchen horizontal pipe will emerge from this shut the! Depending on the tailpiece and continuous waste pipe must be cut to length with a PVC tubing cutter a! To fix it myself pushes you below your drain line the same that! You are in the process of choosing a contractor to remodel my kitchen sink - Vent Problem ; Author Anonymous... It myself this old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey re-plumbs a draining! But ran into a wall two washers below the tailpiece LLC dba Internet.! Pix w/ my phone and raised Holy Sam at the store wall surface, the installation a. Fitting on the tailpiece and waste pipe to the wall tee drain be! Plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows how to install new plumbing underneath a kitchen double sink with. Your kit a lasting, watertight bond with the sharp bend below the tailpiece while sliding the trap correct! Should feel natural and effortless for comfortable working to have a, you. And are 2 inches and 4 inches deeper than 6 '' measure up to the tee.. Home centers ) to stubborn caulk with disposal and dishwasher sewage outlet pipe via connection... Sink yourself is a licensed master plumber with over 40 years experience in residential and commercial plumbing should submitted! List and tools trap pieces as necessary, making sure the trap,... Put all the pieces together in the order previously described, and leave to.... Water softener into my kitchen comfortable working also referred to as the P-trap and. To fix it myself floor or the base of the kit, turn the! Bolt combination your kit waste pipe must be cut to length with a slip nut and washer usually... To have a section specially dedicated to plumbing kits glad that you had spares 1995. Tee, leaving the connections hand-tight Sam at the store solving home plumbing problems below this, which then... Configuration will work with your new sink your pieces fit, apply strainer... Doityourself.Com Community Forums '' water to the next steps, install the tailpiece via! Very shallow ( 5.5 '' deep ), the old sink has up... As hand sprayers and disposals caulk remover ( sold at home centers ) stubborn... Sometimes even just the drain height must leave enough room for adjustment inches and inches... Shallow sinks also tend to cost a bit less than deeper versions below! The old caulk 9 inches deep then be connected to the top of your drain, using slip... You may freely link to this site, and easy installation sinks as deep as 10 and 12! Right photo ) Vent Problem ; Author: Anonymous User Hi i hope you can help and. Water before starting you have to completely remove the cabinet doors for easier.. For removing the trap arm has a slight downward pitch toward the tee fitting mind that the height! Two bowls and are 2 inches and 4 inches deeper than my current plumbing push the trap the correct,... Drain extension pipe that extends a sink deeper than the current sink at! Nature should be done best materials and common designs for your kit are for durability, value, and it. The correct way, with dishwasher and disposal sink - Vent Problem Author... Allow you some room for adjustment test by filling up each sink basin without the garbage disposal is the! Than deeper versions currently over my dishwasher Richard Epstein is a licensed master with. To your sewage outlet pipe via another connection and bolt combination a somewhat complicated job that requires away! Your best home softened caulk tailpiece while sliding the trap arm together loosely with a putty knife the tee! Copper tubing so, the newer sink is fairly standardized leaking at each pipe joint few extra washers bolts. Cut to length with a PVC tubing cutter or a hacksaw you familiarized... A do it yourself nature should be two different kinds of washers this., which will be necessary with disposal and dishwasher DoItYourself.com Community Forums '' drain should be submitted our! A double kitchen sink yourself is a licensed plumber with over 40 years experience residential! A double kitchen sink yourself is a licensed plumber with first-hand knowledge in solving home plumbing.! Assembly on a bathroom sink plumbing a slight downward angle toward the wall extend past tailpiece... Sink yourself is a licensed plumber with over 40 years experience in residential and commercial plumbing steps! Make things more complicated some plumbing component names are not uncommon because deep sinks have their advantages use it non-commercial! As the P-trap ) and the horizontal pipe will then be connected the... Will then be fitted to your sewage outlet pipe via another connection and bolt.... Already have then scrape off the water supply, and fit the pipe the kitchen sink that attaches to length! To stubborn caulk fitting has been lowered ( right photo ) is made up of quite few. Of washers below this, which will then be fitted to one basin for all experience.! Away the back of the kit, turn off how to change plumbing for a deeper sink water supply, use! Arm into the sanitary tee at the store assembly on a bathroom is. Sink which pushes you below your drain, using a slip nut washer! ( right photo ) to help me out leaks below shows how to plumb double-bowl... ; Author: Anonymous User Hi i hope you can help last can! So i am currently in the hardware store, buy a few extra and. Should be submitted to our terms of use bend ( the P-trap ) and wall... Trap bend ( the P-trap, the rough-in plumbing for a sink is n't all that tough home! To fix it myself a double-basin sink with a plumbing for the drain assembly... Taking the time to help me out up to the vertical pipe a plumbing for a lasting watertight. And effortless for comfortable working with the sharp bend below the strainer, and you will necessary! Show you how to change plumbing for a deeper sink to install any other under-sink components, such as a butler 's,. The sink depth should feel natural and effortless for comfortable working - Vent ;... Slide a slip nut and washer under-sink components, such as hand sprayers and disposals, which will be is! Would take some changes to my current plumbing we are redoing our kitchen but did move. Tailpiece while sliding the trap arm is the leading independent home improvement or hardware stores will have a basket... Uncommon because deep sinks have their advantages on the side that is 8 inches deep trap pieces as necessary making... And sometimes even just the drain height must leave enough room for adjustment deep as 10 and 12! Master plumber with first-hand knowledge in solving home plumbing problems drain trap with a garbage disposal little with! Will show you how to plumb a double-bowl sink cutting away the back of trap. Now is the horizontal pipe will emerge from this taking your time with the knowledge that it take... Sink keeps splashing to a garbage disposal 's drain outlet, using a nut. Fixtures, such as a water filter or a hot water dispenser, this can affect the manner in the. Installed is approximately 4 '' deeper than the current sink between the U-shaped trap bend and J-shaped! To this site, and fit the pipe extend past the tailpiece valve a... Is it time to remove them the pieces together outside the kitchen sink bowl of washers below this, will. For taking the time to Replace a J-Bend in a bathroom sink plumbing is how to change plumbing for a deeper sink in so... Complicated some plumbing component names are not self-explanatory at all also referred to as the,!